Subject: [bug#34128] [PATCH] add emacs built with xwidgets-support

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 12:41:54 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I performed the migration of the Emacs xwidgets feature from the old to
>> the newer webkitgtk API, but that’s when I noticed that xwidgets are
>> hardly usable in its current state.  I certainly wouldn’t use it as a
>> browser, for example, because there is virtually no integration with the
>> rest of Emacs.
>>
>> It works fine for sending JavaScript snippets to the widgets and have it
>> respond, but it’s not very well integrated into Emacs.  Disabling
>> JavaScript has the effect of disabling *all* JavaScript, which makes
>> scrolling impossible (as it is implemented by sending JavaScript to the
>> widget).
>>
>> Turning it into a usable browser would require more fundamental changes,
>> and that’s when I stopped working on patches.
>
> Oh, I was more optimistic; thanks for explaining.
>
> Knowing this, what do you think of adding it as a package?  We also have
> ‘guile-emacs’ anyway…

I’m not at all opposed to adding it as a package.  After all, it is a
potentially useful feature and providing a package makes it more likely
that people get to play with it and maybe extend the features by
contributing elisp and JavaScript.

--
Ricardo