Subject: [bug#34128] [PATCH] add emacs built with xwidgets-support

From: Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 10:37:39 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> I performed the migration of the Emacs xwidgets feature from the old to
> the newer webkitgtk API, but that’s when I noticed that xwidgets are
> hardly usable in its current state.  I certainly wouldn’t use it as a
> browser, for example, because there is virtually no integration with the
> rest of Emacs.

I see it as pretty good for many usecases already. I often just want to
look up something in a browser without switching away from Emacs, and
many websites nowadays don’t work with text browsers anymore.

The main thing that’s missing right now is a way to highlight all links
and select the one to follow — similar to next (or one of the other
projects listed on https://qutebrowser.org/ ).

Do you know why it flickers?

> It works fine for sending JavaScript snippets to the widgets and have it
> respond, but it’s not very well integrated into Emacs.  Disabling
> JavaScript has the effect of disabling *all* JavaScript, which makes
> scrolling impossible (as it is implemented by sending JavaScript to the
> widget).

That doesn’t really hurt me: For sites without javascript, eww mostly
works fine. So when running a webkit, I typically need javascript
anyway.

Also xwidgets as a feature enables much more than just a browser.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein
ohne es zu merken