Subject: bug#34127: 26.1.91; Redisplay issues with tramp

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 21:53:33 +0000

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 05:02:04PM -0500, Tim Blackman wrote:
> I've been noticing various display anomalies when using the latest Emacs
> 26.1.91 pretest. Some cases are hard to capture or categorize, but it
> seems like I'm seeing more "flashing" for redisplay than I usually do.
> 
> The case I was able to capture was when using tramp.
> 
> If I create a new tramp connection (after calling M-x
> tramp-cleanup-all-connections), I see a strangely blank screen from
> after calling the command (say C-x C-f "/-:slc:") until the directory
> gets displayed. Please see the attached picture.
> 
> That blank screen behavior is new. In 26.1, the frame contents continue
> to be displayed while the command is running.

I believe this is caused by the changes made for macOS Mojave
compatibility. There has been a patch applied to the emacs-26 branch
that fixes some of these issues, but which missed the pretest. If it’s
possible for you to test an updated version that would be helpful.

I’m also working on a more complete set of patches, but I doubt
they’ll be good for Emacs 26.
-- 
Alan Third