Subject: bug#34114: closed (Re: bug#34114: 27.0.50: pdumper and themes with Emacs daemon)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 10:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34114: 27.0.50: pdumper and themes with Emacs daemon

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34114: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34114
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34114: 27.0.50: pdumper and themes with Emacs daemon
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Karl Otness <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 12:22:16 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Karl Otness <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 19:22:34 +0000
> Cc: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
> 	Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
> 
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 3:12 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > So Karl, could you please try the patch below, which is based on your
> > idea, but with a quirk?
> 
> That patch seems to fix the issue for me. Thanks for taking a look at it.

Thanks, I installed it now.

> > And before you apply the patch, could you perhaps show C and Lisp
> > backtraces from the errors you were seeing?  I don't see those errors
> > here when I try your recipe, and I'd like to better understand where
> > the problem happens.
> 
> As far as backtraces, here's the output I get when running with my init
> file containing just "(toggle-debug-on-error)" and "(load-theme 'wombat t)":

Thanks for this and the C backtrace, I think I understand now what was
the problem.

Subject: 27.0.50: pdumper and themes with Emacs daemon
From: Karl Otness <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 11:15:54 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have some issues with theme loading with recent master (978cf88) in
daemon mode. The problem seems to have been introduced with pdumper in
d12e5d00. This is on an Arch Linux system.

After starting an Emacs daemon I see messages about invalid faces:
"face-attribute: Invalid face: tooltip".

The error seems to be signaled from xfaces.c:1866 and called through
`frame-notice-user-settings', and `frame-set-background-mode' all
working with the initial frame F1.

After connecting my first (graphical GTK) client some of my theme
settings have not been applied. In my case, the default face is plain
black text. Doing another manual `load-theme' fixes the settings.

To reproduce with recent master, load a theme in init.el for example
"(load-theme 'wombat)", start a new daemon (I was using fg-daemon) and
connect a client. The messages buffer should have the error message. I
manage to reproduce with an init.el that is just the `load-theme'
call.

I'm also getting a crash with `report-emacs-bug' that looks like
bug#34051, so here are the features manually:

"XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
CANNOT_DUMP LCMS2 GMP"

Thanks,
Karl