Subject: bug#34093: auto-save prevents quitting emacs on read-only filesystem

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:58:08 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Thanks, but is a single warning really enough?  What if the situation
>> is slightly different, in that the user could somehow resolve the
>> problem -- should we perhaps prompt the user whether to retry or
>> ignore the error?
>
> Is it worth it?  The bug will presumably trigger only under rare
> circumstances such as serious misconfiguration by the user or serious
> system failure ($HOME remounted as read-only sounds fairly exceptional).
> And the consequence is that the user will miss out on a very minor
> convenience feature.

I agree with Stefan that the fix should be sufficient for most usages,
so I've applied it to Emacs 28.  It would be nice if it went even
further, of course, but the patch is at the very least a step in the
right direction in itself.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no