Subject: 25.2; save-buffer fails to save to an NFS drive in Emacs 25

From: Don Allingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 15:16:31 -0700

If I open an existing file in Emacs 25 (and Emacs 24), modify it and
attempt to save using C-x C-s (save-buffer), the file does not save. I
get the message "Saving <filename>...", but the file does not save and
remains marked as modified. If I attempt to save it with C-x C-w
(write-file), it prompts me for the name, and if I overwrite the file,
it succeeds. At that point, I can use save-buffer successfully until I
kill the buffer.

This only happens on a NFS mounted drive. If I do the same operation on
a local file system, it succeeds. The problem does not occur with Emacs
23 on the same NFS file system and the same host machine.

This problem occurs with a direct NFS mount, or with autofs automounting
the NFS partition.

The mount command shows the following setup for the automouted NFS
partition.

lco-cssg-nas-17:/export/volDH00/dona on /home/dona type nfs
(rw,nosuid,relatime,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=10.30.145.230,mountvers=3,mountport=20048,mountproto=tcp,local_lock=none,addr=10.30.145.230)

In GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2017-09-22, modified by Debian built on lgw01-amd64-050
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:    Linux Mint 19 Tara

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --build x86_64-linux-gnu
 --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs25-jYekUr/emacs25-25.2+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading 00debian-vars...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...
Loading debian-ispell...
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el
(source)...done
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el
(source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils finder-inf
better-defaults-autoloads paren edmacro kmacro saveplace ido
ein-autoloads request-autoloads websocket-autoloads package epg-config
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 103592 5550)
 (symbols 48 21890 0)
 (miscs 40 107 143)
 (strings 32 21123 5072)
 (string-bytes 1 623755)
 (vectors 16 14765)
 (vector-slots 8 463411 2722)
 (floats 8 205 40)
 (intervals 56 295 0)
 (buffers 976 18))