Subject: bug#34089: closed (Re: bug#34089: 27.0.50; Substring icomplete broken for M-x switch-to-buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 06:49:04 +0000

Your bug report

#34089: 27.0.50; Substring icomplete broken for M-x switch-to-buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34089: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34089
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34089: 27.0.50; Substring icomplete broken for M-x switch-to-buffer
From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 06:48:25 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019, 02:04 Stefan Monnier <[email-masked] wrote:

> Not sure how to write the code that combines category-default-styles and
> global styles in order to get that behavior.

Delete everything and try again?

I kid, I kid... :-) Thanks Stefan, I was hoping for such an easy answer!

BTW how do you debug this stuff?  Edebug is akward because of the
minibuffer usage (and the second frame technique doesn't always work).

João

Subject: 27.0.50; Substring icomplete broken for M-x switch-to-buffer
From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 00:11:38 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi maintainers,

In my newfound icomplete adventures, I've come across a very annoying
bug I just cannot catch:

    Emacs -Q
    M-x icomplete-mode
    M-: (setq completion-styles '(substring)) RET
    M-: (generate-new-buffer "Messages") RET
    C-x b

Now type "M".  The minibuffer suggest the buffer "Messages", but what
about "*Messages"?  Why isn't it considered?

If, instead of "M", I type "essa", then "Messages" and "*Messages*"
_are_ both considered, correctly.

Tracing completion-substring-try/all-completion shows that it is not
being called in the first situation: why???

João