Subject: bug#3408: customize-face not working: seems to apply to frame-face

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:40:38 -0700

> > Emacs -Q
> > (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 130 :family 
> > "Lucida Grande") (customize-face 'default)
> > (make-frame-command)  ;; C-x 5 2
> >
> > The same thing works as I would expect in Emacs 22.  I 
> > would generally assume that `customize-face' applies to
> > faces in future frames as well.
> 
> Mixing set-face-attribute and Customize is a bad idea in general.

It *should not* be a bad idea - or, put as a question, why *should* it be a bad
idea? Logically, where is the problem? If the implementation is inadequate,
that's another matter, but where is the problem *logically*?

And what was wrong with the Emacs 22 behavior (implementation)?

If some feature was added for Emacs 23 that broke that behavior, and then you
say that things are too complex to use both `set-face-attribute' and Customize,
then back out that misguided feature until things can be done right. Things
seemed to be fine, before.

Adding some feature, no matter how worthy (multi-tty, Unicode), should not be an
excuse for breaking existing behavior, as if that were somehow inevitable
collateral damage.