Subject: bug#34073: 26.1; Missing documentation for minor mode hook behavior

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 00:20:00 +0200

Piotr Kaznowski <[email-masked]> writes:

> I couldn't find essential information about minor mode hooks behavior,
> namely that "The minor mode's hook is called both when activating and
> deactivating the minor mode" (as stated here:
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/47092/17425).
>
> It isn't mentioned in the manual (sections "Minor Modes" and "Hooks"),
> nor in the docstring for `add-hook' function.

Mentioning it `add-hook' is perhaps not natural, and I don't think it's
100% adhered to, anyway?  Only by minor modes that are defined by
define-minor-mode?  Other minor modes may or may not call the hook.

It is mentioned in the "Defining Minor Modes" node of the Lisp
manual...  but is probably not where people would be looking for this
information.

Hm.  Perhaps `add-hook' is the right place to mention this anyway?  But
with caveats about, well, everything?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no