Subject: Re: bug#34023: Support double colons in Info index entries

From: Gavin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 20:14:44 +0000

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 08:13:23PM +0000, Gavin Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 07:53:52PM -0500, Glenn Morris wrote:
> > Gavin Smith wrote:
> > 
> > > This is what is implemented in the standalone info browser (since
> > > change on 2017-04-08).
> > 
> > "Defining the Entries of an Index" in the Texinfo manual continues to
> > say (through Texinfo 6.5.90) "Caution: Do not use a colon in an index entry".
> 
> Even if Info mode and the standalone Info browser are changed to 
> support colons in index entries, people running older versions of these 
> won't be able to read them.  However, texi2any does output the colon in 
> the index entry without complaint.  See attached Texinfo input and Info 
> output.  Newer versions of 'info' can deal with the colons in the index 
> entries that are output here.
> 

There should still be a warning about this in the Texinfo manual, but it 
could be toned down.