Subject: bug#34016: closed (Re: Git checkouts managed by (guix git) grow indefinitely)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 15:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34016: Git checkouts managed by (guix git) grow indefinitely?

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34016: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34016
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Git checkouts managed by (guix git) grow indefinitely
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 16:59:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Brendan,

Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Since this bug report 1.1.0 was released. The Changelog includes this note:
> "Repositories with a large number of packfiles no longer exhaust the
> number of file descriptors."
>
> https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/pull/5396
>
> May or may not be related to this.

That may be the case because I’ve not experienced it in more than a year.
Closing!

Thanks for the heads-up,
Ludo’.

Subject: Git checkouts managed by (guix git) grow indefinitely?
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Bug Guix <[email-masked]>
Cc: Erik Edrosa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2019 17:56:55 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

On berlin I noticed that Cuirass would run out of file descriptors
almost immediately once started.  I managed to get the list of open
files:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
ludo@berlin ~$ sudo ls -l /proc/$(sudo herd status cuirass|grep value|sed -es'/^.* \([0-9]\+\)\.$/\1/g')/fd
[…]
alwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-dde01a576697a783fd12eb73228921153ba18b4b.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 978 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-d65f5c22414e4864a00ec7bee4cff5ff0b4a2c31.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 979 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-d78f9f47a68d4254a81d57d6183fe9c9be41752d.pack
l-wx------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 98 -> 'pipe:[70917334]'
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 980 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-58f83b77dbe392bba277f10a1bdd7ed469946feb.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 981 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-d28d075e1dd259683747b5723a232fa4d60cd1a9.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 982 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-cffbdad6def559b60bd928173916f3edbb1a4a8f.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 983 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-ac42d4dd95b02bb54d03687c984c67bacf0e1feb.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 984 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-e5e26a7aeb5a33889f6ac8cff8bef182b5b8a0b2.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 985 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-ac66439d6b07a0e4cf2e4ccef3be21e8a1c96d55.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 986 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-f73b60b056634b58f44fb65f20416e22a6c936e8.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 987 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-f8f3313f5ec872e43cb1e12a8b6509e7f0a13512.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 988 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-55e720e2a4ec09cc996599c5089be871eba8f829.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 989 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-d2441e647df889422906a30d06d6d195e522cbd1.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 99 -> 'pipe:[70908233]'
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 990 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-61fed4082491ff66716c92fe49fe499cd6a5fa78.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 991 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-0bcefb4f7953471a0bc944f0f0c3bbe9143df22b.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 992 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-6a5fbea2046bdc8c94926e9d3d516e1b5351b645.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 993 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-add66d8bdd96e4cc67e78a23c428f7b4e46974df.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 994 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-740728c75faa0e9179ad977d4e4b2eb6bfa51345.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 995 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-c78417a98abdc6a7396fb3f6e4d5633de20c819c.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 996 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-df4cae77b58d600538f2dc51b7b31b61a92cab23.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 997 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-83559c192d41400596d42587bb50d409c121969d.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 998 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-1f46268a2ba6bd3b97d9d7cea4e18233212cc75e.pack
lr-x------ 1 cuirass cuirass 64 Jan  8 17:46 999 -> /var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack-55a94a468fa892b0128656fc5aa953c667161fcd.pack
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So it’s Guile-Git, called from ‘update-cached-checkout’¹, that would open
all these pack files, quickly running out of file descriptors.  I wonder
if we’re doing something wrong here or if we hit a limitation of
libgit2.  Ideas?

In the meantime, the obvious workaround was to “rm -rf
/var/cache/cuirass/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq”.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

¹ https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/git.scm#n122