Subject: Re: bug#34014: 25.2; binding down mouse event with modifier to mouse-drag-region does not work

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 14:27:44 +0000

Adolf Mathias <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry :) Let's try to come to a constructive conclusion. By the way,
> Emacs is a great piece of software, and I am slightly ashamed that I
> did not contribute to it, given that it is my editor of choice, and
> given the numerous Emacs-Lisp goodies that I  use a lot daily, enabled
> by Stallman's fabulous basic design.

It's never too late.  Working on adding a feature you yourself want is
actually a great way to start.  :-)

To extend 'mouse-drag-copy-region' to also support working like you
suggest would be a useful contribution, in my opinion.  In addition to
nil and t, perhaps we could add a new symbol (e.g. 'at-point) which
would mean that the text should immediately be yanked at point.

In any case, we could leave this open as a wishlist level request, I
think.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

PS. Note that any contribution longer than 15 lines would also require a
    copyright assignment as described here:
        https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html