Subject: Re: bug#34014: 25.2; binding down mouse event with modifier to mouse-drag-region does not work

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 07:29:39 -0700

reopen 34014
thanks

Hi Adolf,

[Please use "Reply to all" so that the discussion is recorded in the bug
tracker.]

Adolf Mathias <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry for the apparent delay. I myself got a bit frustrated with the
> issue and rewrote a simple version  of mouse-drag-region for myself
> which does not deal with double/triple-clicks acting on words and
> lines however. I was not able to disentangle what Emacs does there.
> I somehow was convinced that I had answered back then why I wanted to
> bind mouse-drag-region to a button-down event.
> I did so because the Emacs help on mouse-drag-region told me so, and
> because it used to work that way.

Thanks for replying back.  I am therefore reopening this bug.
With your help, we could try to figure out what is going on here.

Does it work like you expect if you evaluate this in emacs -Q?

  (define-key global-map '[S-down-mouse-1] 'mouse-drag-region)
  (define-key global-map '[S-drag-mouse-1] 'mouse-set-region)

If that does not help, could you please try to describe the use-case in
more detail and explain what it is you're trying to achieve?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas