Subject: bug#34014: closed (Re: bug#34014: 25.2; binding down mouse event with modifier to mouse-drag-region does not work)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34014: 25.2; binding down mouse event with modifier to mouse-drag-region does not work

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34014: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34014
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34014: 25.2; binding down mouse event with modifier to mouse-drag-region does not work
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Adolf Mathias <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 05:02:12 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Adolf Mathias <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 10:51:19 +0100
>>
>> >From 'emacs -Q' under X11, Ubuntu Bionic Beaver, enter:
>> M-: (define-key global-map '[S-down-mouse-1] 'mouse-drag-region)
>>
>> Now attempting to drag a region with held down shift key gives the
>> error message:
>>
>> <S-drag-mouse-1> is undefined
>>
>> Redefining the mouse key without shift modifier, and then dragging,
>> works as intended:
>> M-: (define-key global-map '[down-mouse-1] 'mouse-drag-region)
>>
>> This used to work in Emacs 24 and before.
>
> Sorry for such a long delay in responding to your report.
>
> Can you tell why you want to bind S-down-mouse-1 and not
> S-drag-mouse-1 to a drag command?

More information was requested, but none was given within 1.5 years, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 25.2; binding down mouse event with modifier to mouse-drag-region does not work
From: Adolf Mathias <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 10:51:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

======================

>From 'emacs -Q' under X11, Ubuntu Bionic Beaver, enter:
M-: (define-key global-map '[S-down-mouse-1] 'mouse-drag-region)

Now attempting to drag a region with held down shift key gives the
error message:

<S-drag-mouse-1> is undefined

Redefining the mouse key without shift modifier, and then dragging,
works as intended:
M-: (define-key global-map '[down-mouse-1] 'mouse-drag-region)

This used to work in Emacs 24 and before.

======================

In GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2017-09-22, modified by Debian built on lgw01-amd64-050
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --build x86_64-linux-gnu
 --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs25-jYekUr/emacs25-25.2+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: C
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
gui-get-primary-selection: No selection is available
Mark set
mouse-drag-region
Mark set
mouse-drag-region
Mark set
<S-drag-mouse-1> is undefined
C-c RET is undefined

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-ispell
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/context hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/preview hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 91833 8234)
 (symbols 48 20167 0)
 (miscs 40 103 171)
 (strings 32 15355 5105)
 (string-bytes 1 440851)
 (vectors 16 11880)
 (vector-slots 8 434204 5146)
 (floats 8 164 159)
 (intervals 56 301 0)
 (buffers 976 19))