Subject: 26.1; smtpmail-try-auth-method: wrong-type-argument characterpÁ¢\203^M^@ÀÁ¢À¢!_\210À¢\207

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 20:15:25 +0100

Once in a while, I get the following error when I try to send an e-mail.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument characterp "\301\242\203\015\0\300\301\242\300\242!\240\210\300\242\207")
  smtpmail-try-auth-method(#<process smtpmail> plain "[email-masked]" #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x50a2e59>))
  smtpmail-try-auth-methods(#<process smtpmail> (dsn 8bitmime enhancedstatuscodes (auth plain login) etrn (size \35651584)) "mail.gandi.net" 587 nil)
  smtpmail-via-smtp(("[email-masked]") #<buffer  smtpmail temp>)
  smtpmail-send-it()
  message-multi-smtp-send-mail()
  message-send-mail(nil)
  message-send-via-mail(nil)
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit(nil)
  funcall-interactively(message-send-and-exit nil)
  call-interactively(message-send-and-exit nil nil)
  command-execute(message-send-and-exit)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The above "wrong character" reads as "Á¢\203^M^@ÀÁ¢À¢!_\210À¢\207" in ASCII (the
^- and \-prefixed characters are not printable).  I think it's always the same
string.

The error persists if I try to resend.  However, I've noticed that trying to
resend the mail some time later (1 hour or so) may succeed.  Rebooting also
seems to work all the time, but re-logging does not always work.

I use mu4e 1.0c.

I've noticed this issue only recently and it might coincide with the change of
router.  Indeed, I haven't yet experienced this issue when connecting my laptop
to a different router.

My SMTP configuration:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
 (smtpmail-smtp-server . "mail.gandi.net")
 (smtpmail-stream-type . starttls)
 (smtpmail-smtp-service . 587)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

A friend of mine had the same issue, only on my routeur, with Gmail and
mu4e.

Any clue?  Any pointer?

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.0)
 of 2018-11-14 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/q19l04vd2za80mk1845pz7r8cz29qk43-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/q19l04vd2za80mk1845pz7r8cz29qk43-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/gppr8msvzgxr87psbj3w6hc07lnnzpvx-emacs-26.1
 --enable-fast-install'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  magit-todos-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  global-fish-completion-mode: t
  fish-completion-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-mu4e-conversation-mode: t
  mu4e-conversation-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  org-bullets-mode: t
  evil-org-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  engine-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: yas--auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Features:
(shadow emacsbug org-clock helm-org dabbrev bug-reference helm-semantic
helm-imenu le-lisp misearch multi-isearch mhtml-mode css-mode-expansions
css-mode js-mode-expansions js shr-color helm-ring init-makefile
make-mode helm-eshell evil-collection-magit-todos magit-todos pcre2el
rxt re-builder evil-magit evil-collection-magit magit-version
magit-bookmark magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-collab ghub
url-http url-gw url-auth magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-process magit-margin magit-mode git-commit
magit-git magit-section magit-utils magit-popup log-edit pcvs-util
add-log em-unix em-term evil-collection-term term ehelp em-script em-ls
em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-basic em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd
esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg init-eshell fish-completion em-cmpl
bash-completion package-eshell-detach esh-autosuggest esh-groups
em-tramp patch-eshell-26 evil-collection-eshell em-prompt eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso
helm-command network-stream nsm starttls mailalias mail-extr sort
face-remap epa-file winner recentf tree-widget helm-x-files
helm-for-files helm-external init-mu4e patch-mu4e-account org-mu4e
helm-mu evil-collection-mu4e-conversation mu4e-conversation
evil-collection-mu4e mu4e mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image dframe
mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-context mu4e-draft
mu4e-actions rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill
html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils mu4e-lists mu4e-vars mu4e-meta tex-buf
latex-mode-expansions latex tex-ispell tex-style tex-info init-tex tex
dbus crm texinfo rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct nxml-mode-expansions
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util
nxml-enc xmltok conf-mode whitespace hl-line elfeed-curl elfeed-log
elfeed-db elfeed-lib xml-query slime-indentation slime-cl-indent
cl-indent slime-asdf slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep
evil-collection-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu
slime-enclosing-context slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector
slime-company slime-repl-ansi-color helm-slime slime-fuzzy slime-c-p-c
slime-autodoc slime-editing-commands slime-repl slime-parse
evil-collection-slime slime evil-collection-arc-mode arc-mode
archive-mode hyperspec smerge-mode org-eldoc linum html-mode-expansions
sgml-mode init-sh sh-script smie executable disp-table org-rmail org-mhe
org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m init-org org-bullets org-contacts org-capture evil-org-agenda
org-agenda gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc rfc822
mml mml-sec evil-collection-epa epa epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win helm-org-contacts evil-org
org-table org-element avl-tree generator the-org-mode-expansions org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs evil-collection-calendar cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
semantic/tag-file semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files
semantic/bovine/c semantic/decorate/include semantic/decorate/mode
semantic/decorate pulse hideif semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp
semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs
semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref semantic/analyze semantic/sort
semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-bbdb init-cc
skeleton semantic/db-mode semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt evil-collection-w3m w3m
mail-parse rfc2231 evil-collection-doc-view doc-view timezone w3m-hist
w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc
w3m-util gtk-look helm-company helm-elisp helm-eval cc-mode-expansions
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs autorevert filenotify yasnippet lispyville lispy hydra
lv swiper evil-collection-ivy ivy ivy-overlay ffap delsel lispy-inline
avy semantic/db eieio-base evil-collection-outline noutline outline
etags evil-collection-xref xref project evil-collection-ediff ediff-merg
ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff
lispy-tags display-line-numbers elec-pair helm-system-packages tramp-sh
tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize parse-time
bonjourmadame derived init-exwm exwm-randr xcb-randr warnings
pulseaudio-control helm-exwm exwm-systemtray xcb-systemtray xcb-xembed
exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug google-translate
google-translate-default-ui google-translate-core-ui ido
google-translate-core google-translate-tk init-flycheck
evil-collection-flycheck flycheck json map rainbow-mode color pdf-occur
ibuf-ext evil-collection-ibuffer ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
let-alist pdf-misc evil-collection-pdf pdf-tools pdf-view jka-compr
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util init-lisp clhs rainbow-delimiters
evil-collection-image+ image+ image-file hl-todo evil-collection-helpful
helpful imenu trace evil-collection-edebug edebug info-look find-func
shut-up f dash-functional help-fns radix-tree evil-collection-elisp-refs
elisp-refs s loop dash init-helm helm-sys helm-bookmark helm-net
helm-adaptive helm-info evil-collection-info info
evil-collection-bookmark bookmark pp dired-async dired-aux
evil-collection-dired init-dired dired-x dired dired-loaddefs helm-mode
helm-ls-git evil-collection-vc-git vc-git evil-collection-diff-mode
diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher helm-descbinds helm-config helm-easymenu
init-guix expand-region text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom init-eww helm-eww
evil-collection-helm helm-files helm-buffers helm-tags helm-locate
helm-grep wgrep-helm evil-collection-wgrep wgrep evil-collection-grep
grep evil-collection-compile compile helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help
helm-types helm easy-mmode helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match
helm-lib init-evil init-evil-gnus evil-collection-simple
evil-collection-package-menu evil-collection-occur
evil-collection-minibuffer evil-collection-image image-mode
evil-collection-help evil-collection-geiser evil-collection-eww
evil-collection-elisp-mode evil-collection-custom cus-edit cus-start
cus-load company-tng evil-collection-company evil-collection-comint
evil-collection-buff-menu evil-collection subr-x evil-multiedit iedit
iedit-lib with-editor async-bytecomp async evil-commentary
evil-commentary-integration evil evil-integration undo-tree diff
evil-maps evil-commands reveal flyspell ispell evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex shell pcomplete
comint evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core advice evil-common
windmove thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring init-engine eww
puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mail-utils wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr url-queue url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap shr svg xml dom format-spec engine-mode
company pcase visual main server pinentry avoid desktop frameset
ansi-color time-date paren browse-url savehist saveplace functions
edmacro kmacro finder-inf package epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv esxml-autoloads ivy-autoloads helm-company-autoloads
eimp-autoloads org-bullets-autoloads avy-autoloads async-autoloads
pdf-tools-autoloads magit-popup-autoloads lispyville-autoloads
evil-commentary-autoloads synosaurus-autoloads helpful-autoloads
helm-eww-autoloads slime-company-autoloads youtube-dl-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads pinentry-autoloads
org-contrib-autoloads fish-completion-autoloads list-utils-autoloads cl
ztree-autoloads debbugs-autoloads evil-autoloads daemons-autoloads
hackernews-autoloads edit-indirect-autoloads dash-autoloads
translate-shell-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads auctex-autoloads
tex-site popup-autoloads gtk-look-autoloads ace-window-autoloads
evil-multiedit-autoloads helm-mu-autoloads helm-org-contacts-autoloads
esup-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads bash-completion-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads zoutline-autoloads helm-ls-git-autoloads
eieio-core eieio-loaddefs helm-system-packages-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
helm-slime-autoloads clhs-autoloads shut-up-autoloads
transmission-autoloads expand-region-autoloads strace-mode-autoloads
evil-magit-autoloads slime-autoloads loop-autoloads kv-autoloads
blimp-autoloads google-translate-autoloads racket-mode-autoloads
lispy-autoloads company-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads
helm-flycheck-autoloads ghub-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads
faceup-autoloads package-lint-autoloads ambrevar-emacs-exwm-autoloads
f-autoloads engine-mode-autoloads sx-autoloads image+-autoloads
esh-autosuggest-autoloads helm-descbinds-autoloads tablist-autoloads
elfeed-autoloads xelb-autoloads gif-screencast-autoloads circe-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads helm-autoloads exwm-autoloads
magit-todos-autoloads helm-pass-autoloads password-store-autoloads
evil-org-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads helm-emms-autoloads
bui-autoloads evil-collection-autoloads scel-autoloads
helm-exwm-autoloads mu4e-conversation-autoloads iedit-autoloads
s-autoloads org-autoloads pulseaudio-control-autoloads pcre2el-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads hydra-autoloads guix-autoloads w3m-load
mu4e-autoloads emms-auto geiser-install geiser asymptote-autoloads
cl-extra help-mode easymenu cl-seq guix-emacs cl-macs gv rx cl-loaddefs
cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2205846 709330)
 (symbols 48 95564 5)
 (miscs 40 6168 9501)
 (strings 32 696855 38217)
 (string-bytes 1 21663446)
 (vectors 16 245120)
 (vector-slots 8 3904868 302812)
 (floats 8 28561 1678)
 (intervals 56 300640 113634)
 (buffers 992 203))