Subject: bug#34006: closed (Re: bug#34006: Guix gc killed live roots - broke git)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 19:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34006: Guix gc killed live roots - broke git

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34006: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34006
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34006: Guix gc killed live roots - broke git
From: [email-masked]
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 11:02:16 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 2019-01-08 07:50, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> swedebugia <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> On 2019-01-07 12:31, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>>
>>>> $ git pull swedebugia
>>>> fatal: unable to fork
>>>>
>>>> Stracing it reveals that it is missing something (see full attached):
>>>
>>> Where do you see that?
>>
>> Ah, sorry the full command was:
>> strace git pull swedebugia
> 
> I looked at the strace output you provided, and didn't find any evidence
> of a missing file, which I doubt would lead to the error message "unable
> to fork" anyway.  The short excerpt that you quoted in your earlier mail
> showed the failure to find "/etc/ld.so.preload", but that's expected,
> and does not indicate a problem.  The problem might be happening in the
> child process (/home/sdb/.guix-profile/libexec/git-core/git), so adding
> the -f option to strace, i.e. "strace -f git pull swedebugia", might
> yield more useful information.
> 
> If I'm not mistaken, "unable to fork" more likely indicates a lack of
> available resources, possibly due to configured resource limits (see
> ulimit(3) and the 'ulimit' bash builtin, e.g. try "ulimit -a").
> Otherwise, I guess it could be due to restrictions imposed by the use of
> a security framework.

Tried again with "strace -f" and got this:

stat("/home/sdb/.guix-profile/libexec/git-core/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/gnu/store/6ff29rxibnfzabp17qj3mzpc8jggrmsn-profile/bin/ssh",
0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/gnu/store/6ff29rxibnfzabp17qj3mzpc8jggrmsn-profile/sbin/ssh",
0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.local/bin;/home/sdb/.guix-profile/bin/ssh",
0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.guix-profile/sbin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("/run/setuid-programs/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.config/guix/current/bin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.guix-profile/bin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("/home/sdb/.guix-profile/sbin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("/run/current-system/profile/bin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
stat("/run/current-system/profile/sbin/ssh", 0x7ffe26617620) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
close(14)                               = 0

So installing ssh might be a good idea >D

Solved! :D

-- 
Cheers 
Swedebugia

Subject: Guix gc killed live roots - broke git
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 02:07:42 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi

Yesterday I hacked on guix. Everything was fine. Store was 43G.
I ran guix gc to clean up.

Afterwards git broke:

$ git pull swedebugia 
fatal: unable to fork

Stracing it reveals that it is missing something (see full attached):
execve("/home/sdb/.guix-profile/bin/git", ["git", "pull", "swedebugia"],
0x7ffe05bad790 /* 66 vars */) = 0
brk(NULL)                               = 0xbfe000
mmap(NULL, 8192, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0)
= 0x7f61627a1000
access("/etc/ld.so.preload", R_OK)      = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
...

$ which git
/home/sdb/.guix-profile/bin/git
$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 0.16.0 <- vanilla 0.16 initted from the installer

$ guix package -l|grep -5 git
Generation 1	Dec 24 2018 07:36:14
 
emacs-paredit	24	out	/gnu/store/1zha5anxg029qfl7r569aap5lfyrb66a-emacs-paredit-24
 
emacs-no-x	26.1	out	/gnu/store/9v7m3c83rm1rgi99ph5xdkpnnd0c62x4-emacs-no-x-26.1
 
setxkbmap	1.3.1	out	/gnu/store/3px1119mhx9q7xzmi5jlg5wylhkx84cr-setxkbmap-1.3.1
  git	2.19.2	out	/gnu/store/iffgahfxnk13narndlaqf9xm0yhyhyyv-git-2.19.2

Is this a bug?

If yes I think it is serious.

-- 
Cheers 
Swedebugia