Subject: bug#34006: Guix gc killed live roots - broke git

From: swedebugia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2019 09:50:19 +0100

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skrev: (8 januari 2019 08:50:53 CET)
>Hi,
>
>swedebugia <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 2019-01-07 12:31, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>>
>>>> $ git pull swedebugia
>>>> fatal: unable to fork
>>>>
>>>> Stracing it reveals that it is missing something (see full
>attached):
>>>
>>> Where do you see that?
>>
>> Ah, sorry the full command was:
>> strace git pull swedebugia
>
>I looked at the strace output you provided, and didn't find any
>evidence
>of a missing file, which I doubt would lead to the error message
>"unable
>to fork" anyway.  The short excerpt that you quoted in your earlier
>mail
>showed the failure to find "/etc/ld.so.preload", but that's expected,
>and does not indicate a problem.  The problem might be happening in the
>child process (/home/sdb/.guix-profile/libexec/git-core/git), so adding
>the -f option to strace, i.e. "strace -f git pull swedebugia", might
>yield more useful information.
>
>If I'm not mistaken, "unable to fork" more likely indicates a lack of
>available resources, possibly due to configured resource limits (see
>ulimit(3) and the 'ulimit' bash builtin, e.g. try "ulimit -a").
>Otherwise, I guess it could be due to restrictions imposed by the use
>of
>a security framework.
>
>       Mark

Thanks for the -f tip. I thought the errors were significant, but now I understood they are not.
I will reply to the thread with more information if upgrading does not solve it. 
It is a vanilla 0.16 with a few packages installed, no security framework. 
I will share the whole environment also.
Git has been upgraded so I will try installing the newer version next.
-- 
Sent from my p≡p for Android.