Subject: bug#34006: Guix gc killed live roots - broke git

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2019 02:50:53 -0500

Hi,

swedebugia <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2019-01-07 12:31, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>
>>> $ git pull swedebugia
>>> fatal: unable to fork
>>>
>>> Stracing it reveals that it is missing something (see full attached):
>>
>> Where do you see that?
>
> Ah, sorry the full command was:
> strace git pull swedebugia

I looked at the strace output you provided, and didn't find any evidence
of a missing file, which I doubt would lead to the error message "unable
to fork" anyway.  The short excerpt that you quoted in your earlier mail
showed the failure to find "/etc/ld.so.preload", but that's expected,
and does not indicate a problem.  The problem might be happening in the
child process (/home/sdb/.guix-profile/libexec/git-core/git), so adding
the -f option to strace, i.e. "strace -f git pull swedebugia", might
yield more useful information.

If I'm not mistaken, "unable to fork" more likely indicates a lack of
available resources, possibly due to configured resource limits (see
ulimit(3) and the 'ulimit' bash builtin, e.g. try "ulimit -a").
Otherwise, I guess it could be due to restrictions imposed by the use of
a security framework.

       Mark