Subject: bug#3400: bug in add-text-properties

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 11:01:55 -0400

> I disagree.  Whereever point is, it should report the character after
> point which is accessible (this is, visible).  Perhaps it makes sense
> to add a red warning message in the output of `C-x =' that point is
> not located right before the displayed character.

I think what would make most sense if for C-x = to notice such invisible
text and either give info about the whole invisible area, or prompt
which position within that area is actually desired.  In your case, you
want info about the visible char, but I most often use C-x =
specifically to get info about the part I can't see.

> If we had a small line instead of a blinking, block-like cursor (as it
> is used with, say, OpenOffice), I could accept your argumentation.

That can be configured via `cursor-type'.

>> if you're not 200% sure you absolutely need `intangible', then don't
>> use it.  It's a nasty beast.
> Indeed.  But for my particular needs -- filtering out some lines, then
> searching and editing the visible ones only without accidentally
> editing invisible stuff, it seems that `intangible' is still
> necessary, and probably will stay so.

Your call, but you've been warned.  I'd still recommend you first try it
without `intangible'.

        Stefan