Subject: bug#3400: bug in add-text-properties

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 07:51:24 -0700

> >> Point is at position 1 (i.e. just before the char "1" rather than
> >> before the char "A"), so it makes sense for C-h = to return data
> >> about that position rather than about some other position one line
> >> down.
> >
> > I disagree.  Whereever point is, it should report the 
> > character after point which is accessible (this is, visible).
> > Perhaps it makes sense to add a red warning message in the
> > output of `C-x =' that point is
> > not located right before the displayed character.
> 
> I agree with you here, Werner. And I think the red warning is 
> a good idea too.

I haven't followed this thread, so apologies if I miss the point.

To me, we want C-x = to give as much info as possible, including info about
positions that we might not be able to see or even to reach/access by
positioning point.

Since there already is a way to get info about the positions that are accessible
and those that are visible, by moving the cursor a bit, there is no loss in also
providing info about positions that are inaccessible or invisible. So I think I
agree with Stefan here (if this is in fact what he says): C-x = should return
info about the closest position you can access.

That is, if C-x = can help by giving some info about invisible or intangible
chars, so much the better. Nothing prevents us from moving the cursor a bit and
getting the info about the accessible, visible, boundary positions.

If the info shown for such unusual positions is accurate, it will, itself,
indicate that the char is intangible or invisible or whatever. But I do agree
that perhaps some extra notification (red or, preferably just an additional
statement) of this might be helful. (But please don't call such a notification a
"warning".)

Again, ignore if not relevant.