Subject: bug#33999: CP437: Invalid Argument on init

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 11:51:14 +0100

Hello,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:50:41 +0100
> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

[...]

>> But where are those
>> files you’re talking about?  Surely there’s no /gnu/store on the VFAT
>> EFI partition, right?
>
> Oh, these empty files are on the root partition Bryan provided - there
> are lots and lots of empty files, including very important ones like the
> pam configuration files and the elogind configuration files (which is why
> the login didn't work).

OK but how does that relate to the CP437 encoding issue of the ESP?
We’ve moved on to a separate topic, right?  :-)

> I didn't check the contents of the ESP partition because they don't matter.
> What matters is whether the ESP partition is dirty (it was) and whether a
> manual invocation of "fsck.vfat" succeeds on it (it does).

So IIUC, the problem is more of a file system corruption of the storage
device Bryan is using, right?

Thanks for the investigation!

Ludo’.