Subject: Re: bug#33999: CP437: Invalid Argument on init

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 23:59:45 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:00:15 +0100
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Glibc has the ability to bring in statically-linked gconv modules, so we
> could in theory build a custom glibc for the statically-linked
> ‘fsck.fat’, but that doesn’t sound great.
> 
> Thoughts?

Reading the dosfstools source, I found that there is already a fallback
if the codepage conversion does not work, so I don't think we have to
change anything there (see dosfstools-4.1/src/file.c in function
"put_char").

But according to Bryan, even mounting *without* checking the UEFI partition
doesn't work.

There's something else up (I very much doubt that mounting requires iconv--
since the mounting happens in the Linux kernel and not in the GNU userland
at runtime).