Subject: bug#33990: closed (Re: bug#33990: 27.0.50; image-transform-fit-to-height/-width violates assert)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 08:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#33990: 27.0.50; image-transform-fit-to-height/-width violates assert

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33990: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33990
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#33990: 27.0.50; image-transform-fit-to-height/-width violates assert
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 10:33:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 18:21:06 +0100
> 
> How about fixing the bug and documentation on emacs-26 (patches 1 and 2)
> and making the behaviour change (patch 3) on master?

Done, thanks.

Subject: 27.0.50; image-transform-fit-to-height/-width violates assert
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2019 18:26:06 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I resize images, using image-transform-fit-to-height or
image-transform-fit-to-width, the scaling is performed but than
image-transform-check-size is called and signals an error.  This uses
ImageMagick 6.9.7.4 as installed by Debian GNUS/Linux 9.6 (stretch).

Also, because the scale factor is kept globally after that operation (is
that intentional BTW?), loading other images afterwards also runs into
that error, thus image-mode fails to execute and instead in new image
buffers the raw bytes are shown.

I can reproduce this on emacs-26 as well as master with "emacs -Q" with
PBM and with JPEG images.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2019-01-03 built on arrian
Repository revision: f7ccac9f9d82019d4d5ba3182200422fbc9c7e67
Repository branch: harfbuzz
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-file-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail pcmpl-unix dirtrack dired-aux
whitespace compile ert pp ewoc man noutline outline tramp-archive
tramp-gvfs zeroconf dbus xml tramp trampver tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
ucs-normalize parse-time magit-find-file edebug pulse xref project debug
backtrace tabify misearch multi-isearch rect cl-print thingatpt
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func help-fns
bug-reference magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-collab ghub-graphql
treepy graphql ghub url-http url-gw nsm url-auth url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff smerge-mode
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-process
magit-margin magit-mode git-commit magit-git magit-section magit-utils
crm magit-popup log-edit message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor
async-bytecomp async shell pcomplete dash rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode dom
nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok make-mode jka-compr image-mode tcl elec-pair
imenu sh-script smie executable desktop frameset highline
benny-calendar-cfg ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring benny-unicode
generic-x cl autoinsert cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-styles
cc-align cc-cmds cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ps-print ps-print-loaddefs
ps-def lpr advice dired dired-loaddefs benny-x-clipboard disp-table
mm-util mail-prsvr time server protbuf cal-china lunar solar cal-dst
cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
delsel cua-base .loaddefs benny-tools browse-url autoload radix-tree
lisp-mnt mule-util cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit info finder-inf
package let-alist derived pcase cl-extra help-mode easymenu url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv epg epg-config subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)