Subject: bug#3399: Crash in multi-TTY mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:37:52 -0400

>>> I'd prefer the conservative "maybe leaking" one at this stage as I
>>> said first in
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-05/msg00263.html.

>> The main problem with this is that the "maybe" is "in 99% of the
>> cases", since only ancient versions of libX11 free the database.

> But even with the newer libX11, we can't avoid both memory leaks (Case
> 2) and crash (Case 3) without a "hideous" workaround or a nontrivial
> change in the display initialization.  Also, the situation before my
> recent change was also "maybe leaking" for GTK+.  I think this is
> acceptable enough for Emacs 23.1.

Yes, maybe the leak is the least-bad of the options we have, as you said.

>>> The third non-crashing non-hideous way would be to associate the
>>> created database before any call to XGetDefault so it may not set
>>> the XlibDisplayDfltRMDB flag.  That will require reordering in the
>>> display initialization and we can try it after the release.

>> BTW, is there any hope that the bug in libX11 will be fixed any time
>> soon (not that it will save us, but at least I'd like to make sure
>> that we're not stuck with such painful workarounds indefinitely).

> There's no response so far, and I'm not sure how bug reports are
> usually dealt with in X.org.  Actually, I created my bugzilla account
> in freedesktop.org for this bug.

OK, thanks for reporting it,

        Stefan