Subject: Re: bug#3399: Crash in multi-TTY mode

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 16:05:57 +0900

>>>>> On Sat, 30 May 2009 16:37:02 -0400, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> said:

>> I'd prefer the conservative "maybe leaking" one at this stage as I
>> said first in
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-05/msg00263.html.

> The main problem with this is that the "maybe" is "in 99% of the
> cases", since only ancient versions of libX11 free the database.

But even with the newer libX11, we can't avoid both memory leaks (Case
2) and crash (Case 3) without a "hideous" workaround or a nontrivial
change in the display initialization.  Also, the situation before my
recent change was also "maybe leaking" for GTK+.  I think this is
acceptable enough for Emacs 23.1.

>> The third non-crashing non-hideous way would be to associate the
>> created database before any call to XGetDefault so it may not set
>> the XlibDisplayDfltRMDB flag.  That will require reordering in the
>> display initialization and we can try it after the release.

> BTW, is there any hope that the bug in libX11 will be fixed any time
> soon (not that it will save us, but at least I'd like to make sure
> that we're not stuck with such painful workarounds indefinitely).

There's no response so far, and I'm not sure how bug reports are
usually dealt with in X.org.  Actually, I created my bugzilla account
in freedesktop.org for this bug.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]