Subject: Re: bug#33967: [Feature Request] Use proportional fonts in Info-mode

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 23:49:54 +0200

>> > The problem is not to render HTML per se, the problem is to support
>> > the Info features like index search in HTML, something I don't know
>> > what would it take until we see what makeinfo emits.
>>
>> We can get index entries from the links found in the Index HTML pages
>> that makeinfo already emits, i.e. the same way that the Info reader
>> already parses .info files, it can parse .html files that should be simpler
>> since there is less ambiguity in HTML format.
>
> I don't think we should invent our own HTML-Info conventions.  There's
> a person actively working on that for the Texinfo project; when that
> job is done, we should support whatever comes out of that.  If you
> want to be part of that work, please contact the Texinfo developers.

Emacs could support the existing HTML-Info convention, i.e. HTML files
already emitted by the current version of makeinfo.  After modernization
of HTML output by Texinfo developers, the Emacs Info reader could also
support a new HTML-Info convention.  But since supporting both formats
would be more work, maybe better to wait for a new convention indeed.