Subject: bug#33967: [Feature Request] Use proportional fonts in Info-mode

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 00:58:50 -0500

"Alex Griffin" wrote:

> Right now Emacs' built-in info viewer renders almost everything using
> the default face. I can set the default face to a proportional font
> and read most manuals just fine, but sometimes fixed-width fonts are
> assumed. Try using a proportional font on "(ledger3)Register Report"
> for example. It renders terribly in Emacs even though texinfo's html
> output successfully mixes proportional and fixed-width fonts [1].
>
> It would be nice to improve it by using proportional fonts where
> appropriate, and fixed-width fonts only where necessary. This would
> improve readability and better match texinfo's html output.

IIUC what you are asking for, the relevant markup information simply
isn't present in .info files, so what you are asking for seems
impossible.

For example, compare
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Defining-Hash.html#Defining-Hash

with elisp.info. The latter contains:

   This example creates a hash table whose keys are strings that are
compared case-insensitively.

     (defun case-fold-string= (a b)
       (eq t (compare-strings a nil nil b nil nil t)))

ie, examples are not delimited in any fashion.

So you would first have to get a change in texinfo before this could work.