Subject: Re: bug#33959: 26.1.90; python.el font-lock buffer wreaks havoc when company is enabled

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 20:34:21 -0400

Carlos Pita <[email-masked]> writes:

> Noam I'd like to get this merged (because my local patch queue is
> getting too big :P )

Heh, I know the feeling :)

>> I'd still like a deterministic test, though, since this bug is such a pain to reproduce.
>
> I'm not quite understanding what do you want me to do. I don't think
> there is a suite of unit tests to prevent regressions in python.el

Well, test/lisp/progmodes/python-tests.el exists, so yes there is?

> you can't reasonably expect me to write that entire suite just to get
> this minor patch accepted, so I figure you're after another thing
> here. Do you want very explicit instructions that ensure
> reproducibility of the issue, is that it?

Mainly I've been hesitant to apply this patch because I don't understand
why it works.  It kind of looks like it might just be papering over some
subtle problems (similar to fixing a race condition by adding a sleep
call).  And also the overlap with the Bug#32390 fix made things more
confusing; now that I've pushed it, at least that problem is gone.

Writing a regression test would be one way of showing where exactly the
problem comes from, and would help understand why the solution is
correct.