Subject: bug#33918: gzip-1.10 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 22:15:53 -0800

This is to announce gzip-1.10, a stable release.

There have been 19 commits by 2 people in the 51 weeks since 1.9,
not to mention the 559 gnulib-related changes.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

  Jim Meyering (9)
  Paul Eggert (10)

Jim [on behalf of the gzip maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU gzip home page:
    http://gnu.org/s/gzip/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gzip.git;a=shortlog;h=v1.10
or run this command from a git-cloned gzip directory:
  git shortlog v1.9..v1.10

==================================================================
Here are the compressed sources:
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.10.tar.gz   (1.2MB)
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.10.tar.xz   (760KB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures[*]:
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.10.tar.gz.sig
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.10.tar.xz.sig

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify gzip-1.10.tar.gz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69.197-b8fd7
  Automake 1.16a
  Gnulib v0.1-2305-g95c96b6dd

==================================================================
NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 1.10 (2018-12-29) [stable]

** Changes in behavior

  Compressed gzip output no longer contains the current time as a
  timestamp when the input is not a regular file.  Instead, the output
  contains a null (zero) timestamp.  This makes gzip's behavior more
  reproducible when used as part of a pipeline.  (As a reminder, even
  regular files will use null timestamps after the year 2106, due to a
  limitation in the gzip format.)

** Bug fixes

  A use of uninitialized memory on some malformed inputs has been fixed.
  [bug present since the beginning]

  A few theoretical race conditions in signal handers have been fixed.
  These bugs most likely do not happen on practical platforms.
  [bugs present since the beginning]

---
Also posted as:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=9339