Subject: bug#33916: closed (Re: [bug#33916] [PATCH 0/4] Make GDM usable)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 09:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#33916: [PATCH 0/4] Make GDM usable

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33916: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33916
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#33916] [PATCH 0/4] Make GDM usable
From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
To: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 10:30:46 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Timothy,

thanks!

I've pushed this series to master as:

92deb5cc920fcc7617302986180f1abee5fd2b26
89c8656200a21485fd50fe4d277792d7d56c63e0
de409e82261eb147b6614aef8731d795ca664ef0
48c8d067d4ded776939cda6f9c63c25b38ba77fc

I've taken a look at gnu/system/pam.scm where unix-pam-service is defined,
and it just does "auth sufficient pam_rootok.so".  This means that root
will be allowed to log in without password (which is what is documented
there, too).

But how come it (or gdm) then allows any user?

Fedora does it differently:

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Enabling_Root_User_For_GNOME_Display_Manager

> auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet

Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Make GDM usable
From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 21:37:29 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

This patch series tweaks a few things in the GDM package and service so
that it kinda works.  That is to say, I have started using it as my DM,
and I have not pulled all of my hair out yet.  :)

I will start a different thread on guix-devel about what problems there
are and what is left to be done.  These patches are simple, and I want
to avoid complicating their review with open-ended questions.

The only tricky patch is the third one that deletes the “allow-root?”
configuration option.  When set, this option allows logging in to any
account *without* a password.  I don't think that was the intention, and
I don't think that feature is useful, so I removed it.  I couldn’t find
a similar setup in the example PAM config files shipped with GDM,
either.  My guess is that the option was intended to allow or disallow
root logins, but that is definitely not what it does.

-- Tim