Subject: bug#33913: 26.1; Optionally not font-lock newline char when `comment-end' = ""

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 20:20:42 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Please consider letting users easily (e.g. user option) not highlight a
> newline character when it ends a comment, such as in Lisp.
>
> The effect should be to highlight only the chars of the line, starting
> with `comment-start', up to but not including the newline char.
>
> (I never would have noticed how annoying the default behavior is if I
> hadn't tried putting a background color on comments, as the OP did.  I
> don't even think it should be the default behavior to highlight the
> newline char.)

I agree that this would have been useful earlier, but Emacs now has
support for not extending faces to the end of the line when the newline
has a face, so this no longer seems pertinent, and I'm closing this bug
report.  If others think that it's still worth doing something about,
please reopen.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no