Subject: Re: bug#33913: 26.1; Optionally not font-lock newline char when `comment-end' = ""

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Dec 2018 12:33:13 -0000

Hello, Drew.

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
>> See https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/46808/105.

>> Please consider letting users easily (e.g. user option) not highlight a
>> newline character when it ends a comment, such as in Lisp.

> OK, let's consider it.  The comment delimiters in Emacs are considered
> part of the comment, and fontified with it.  In fact, I believe they get
> font-lock-comment-delimiter-face.

Apologies, I was wrong, here.  When the terminator is \n, comment-end is
"", not "\n", and things get confused.  comment-end is NOT and NEVER WAS
the comment terminator.  It's merely what gets inserted when you type
M-;.  I don't think there is a variable which holds the comment
terminator; there is merely an entry in the mode's syntax table.

The rest of my post was largely speculation, and was also wrong.  Please
ignore it.

[ .... ]

>> In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
>>  of 2018-05-30
>> Repository revision: 07f8f9bc5a51f5aa94eb099f3e15fbe0c20ea1ea
>> Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.16299
>> Configured using:
>>  `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
>>  --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).