Subject: Re: bug#33880: [PATCH] Compress past NEWS files during installation

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 17:14:34 +0200

> From: Alex <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 08:57:13 -0600
> 
> [email-masked] writes:
> 
> > This shaves off just over a MB off of the installation using gzip -9.
> > While I was at it, I put in the compression of etc/refcards/*.ps, which
> > covers part of a TODO.
> >
> > I wanted to compress etc/refcards/*.tex as well, but I noticed that it
> > would affect the Makefile that is also installed. It appears to be the
> > only Makefile that's installed; if there's little or no reason for it,
> > would it be okay to remove it during installation and compress the *.tex
> > files as well?
> 
> Ping.  Is this okay to apply to master?

Sorry for not responding earlier.

I don't think compressing *.ps files is a good idea, because then they
cannot be printed without manually uncompressing them.

As for NEWS, I don't have a strong opinion, but it sounds like a very
small gain for the trouble.  What do others think?  Perhaps this
should be discussed on emacs-devel first.

Thanks.