Subject: Re: bug#33871: 27.0.50; Revert Dired window saved in window configuration

From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 12:19:21 +0100

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> As I suggested earlier we can use the position of the buffer's point
> in every window regardless of whether it currently shows the buffer or
> we later switch to the buffer in it.  But this is not what we usually
> want when using multiple windows: We usually want them to show
> different portions of the same buffer.

In the cases I faced, I found it a drawback that the current buffer is
treated differently than the others by current-window-configuration:

Suppose it did not make such an exception. Then it would be quite easy
to manually implement exceptional behaviour for the current buffer. But
the converse is not so easy: It is harder to manually obtain the desired
behaviour if we *want* the current buffer to be treated like the others,
when the function already treats it differently. If it didn't, then a
simple save-excursion, or a similar mechanisms, around restoring the
window configuration could ostensibly restore the state for all buffers
except the current one, resulting in the same behaviour that we get now.
At least that was my impression when using window configurations.