Subject: Re: bug#33870: 27.0.50; xref-goto-xref not configurable

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 23:24:12 +0000

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Let me summarize my point of view of the current situation:
>> Unfortunately, you're trying again to kick up a dust cloud around the
>> matter.  You description is only partially true for the two-window case.
> Yes, it's only partially true, I admitted this by saying that
> I don't understand its complicated logic.

It's complicated in your opinion, and I may agree with that, but it's no
more complicated then, say, a situation where you have two windows, but
one of them is dedicated, and you do, say, describe-symbol, or something
else that pops a window.  Which is just what happens in xref.el: the
starting window where you invoked C-x 4 . behaves like it it is
temporarily dedicated to its buffer.

>> Let's use your 100%-backward-compatible patch, (since it is the simpler
>> of the two). For the millionth time: _after_ we get _some_ patch
>> installed, I invite you to open a new customization option (or just a
>> simple variable) that lets me toggle on and off between the current
>> behaviour and the behaviour that you think is superior.
>
> I don't think that the behaviour I proposed is superior.

"Superior" in UI is always relative.  I think the only way to know if to
test it for a while.  But to do that we have to close this bug first.

> I hoped to have more discussion to find the best solution.

I didn't say we _can't_ have more discussion.  But let's first wrap up
this easy win by installing the patch that makes this configurable.

I'll test your last patch in a fresh Emacs to check if I can still
reproduce the problems I was finding the last time.  If I can't, I'll
just push it , unless someone objects.

João