Subject: Re: bug#33870: 27.0.50; xref-goto-xref not configurable

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2019 20:22:17 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As has been done at least 10 times in this thread, I propose to do the
>> former first and then discuss the latter.  I can also say that I am a
>> bit tired of this: the thread has got so entangled that I'm now spending
>> time re-explaining these relatively simple premises.
>
> I don't think I get this: you have asked for my opinion. Now you seem
> to say you are tired of discussing this

Not really.  But it seems in trying to untangle this thread, I've only
tangled it more...

Let me try one last time.  2 days ago, you decided to chime in very
tersely: "No, I don't think so"

  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33870#380

, presumably saying that the default behaviour in Emacs 26.1 doesn't
make sense for a specific edge case that I had been testing.  Because
you may have been misunderstanding I replied with a detailed explanation
of the reasoning for that particular behaviour in:

  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33870#383

, which you didn't reply to, but Dmitry accepted as sufficient
validation for the current behaviour.  Meanwhile, Juri used this
opportunity to insist that the current behaviour is sub-optimal.

I didn't state (much) disagreement: IMO changing the default can be on
the table, but I said perhaps we should wait for your confirmation that
the "No, I don't think so" really means that you think the 26.1 default
_should_ be changed.

Somewhere along the line we started miscommunicating that someone was
asking the other for input, but for me this is very simple: let's
install Juri's latest patch, which allows for configuring different
behaviors and _then_ discuss which one, if any, of the set of new
possibilities could become the new default.

Also sorry if I sounded rude: I wasn't attributing the reasons I am
tired of this thread to you.

Thanks,
João