Subject: Re: bug#33870: 27.0.50; xref-goto-xref not configurable

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 22:22:05 +0000

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 9:18 PM Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > Fortunately, the whole point of this bug report opened by Juri is to make
> > this configurable. Later, we can decide on a better default, something Juri
> > is also very much in favor of.
>
> With a better default such problems wouldn't happen if definitions were
> displayed in a new split window taking space from the original window.

It's only a "problem" in your opinion :-)  I was assuming Eli also thinks it's
a bad default, but he hasn't confirmed this yet (and like Dmitry perhaps
we was misunderstanding the reason for the behaviour). And neither has he
said that your proposal is better.

Again, for the millionth time in this discussion, let's first merge your patch
and clean up any bugs before we decide on defaults (perhaps you have
done that already, I haven't checked).

> > If you add your voice to his and decide to change the default, and
> > then give me a way to recover 26.1's behavior (minus the bug), I won't
> > object (much).
>
> How do you prefer to configure old behavior?  Using a customizable option?

Something that fits in a single line is good IMO. But normally in Emacs we
keep the defaults for a while and give people unhappy with the defaults
a way to choose their preferred configuration.  We change the default when
enough people voice their dissent.   So, at least for some time, the
configuration line should go into your configuration, not mine.

-- 
João Távora