Subject: bug#33870: 27.0.50; xref-goto-xref not configurable

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 22:35:30 +0200

>>> I see the prototype of window--display-buffer has changed recently, and
>>> so has it docstring.  I assumed that was it for the cleanup Martin
>>> requested, but indeed I could be wrong, as I didn't follow that
>>> subthread closely (has it died down or I am just not Cc: anymore?).
>>
>> The cleanup has been done.  The final message of that subthread says:
>>
>>   Anyone interested in renaming 'window--display-buffer' - please go
>>   ahead.  I think a 'display-buffer-' prefix should then be appropriate.
>>
>> What I meant there is that calling it say 'display-buffer-in-window'
>> would be appropriate but the final name is up to its clients.
>
> Actually seems like a really good name.  If I make a function alias,
> code in window.el can still use the old name.  Do you prefer that, or
> should I replace all uses that I can find in Emacs?

I agree that 'display-buffer-in-window' is a good name.

> Actually2, we should keep the old name.  A code search on github.com
> reveals that other packages/customizations are using the internal
> function, too (which now takes one less arg, but if they break for that,
> they were really asking for it).

Then better to keep the old name with its old signature and
declare it obsolete and replace its body with the call to the
function with the new name and one less arg.