Subject: Re: bug#33870: 27.0.50; xref-goto-xref not configurable

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 22:22:43 +0000

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I see the prototype of window--display-buffer has changed recently, and
>> so has it docstring.  I assumed that was it for the cleanup Martin
>> requested, but indeed I could be wrong, as I didn't follow that
>> subthread closely (has it died down or I am just not Cc: anymore?).
>
> The cleanup has been done.  The final message of that subthread says:
>
>   Anyone interested in renaming 'window--display-buffer' - please go
>   ahead.  I think a 'display-buffer-' prefix should then be appropriate.
>
> What I meant there is that calling it say 'display-buffer-in-window'
> would be appropriate but the final name is up to its clients.

Actually seems like a really good name.  If I make a function alias,
code in window.el can still use the old name.  Do you prefer that, or
should I replace all uses that I can find in Emacs?

Actually2, we should keep the old name.  A code search on github.com
reveals that other packages/customizations are using the internal
function, too (which now takes one less arg, but if they break for that,
they were really asking for it).

João