Subject: Re: [bug#33868] [PATCH] gnu: calibre: Fix PDF to EPUB conversion.

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 00:19:54 +0100

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:

> When trying to convert a PDF to EPUB, the following error occurs:
>
>   File "/gnu/store/kz6bgqw9z7akj11zh20wkx14cgq0s3n2-calibre-3.35.0/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/pdf/pdftohtml.py", line 76, in pdftohtml
>     _('Could not find pdftohtml, check it is in your PATH'))
>
> Move poppler which provides pdftohtml from inputs to propagated-inputs to fix it.
>
> * gnu/packages/ebook.scm (calibre)[inputs]: Move poppler from here ...
> [propagated-inputs]: ... to here.

An less intrusive solution would be to substitute the absolute path to
'pdf2html' in a build step.  I.e.:

(substitute* "lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/pdf/pdftohtml.py"
  (("PDFTOHTML = \"pdftohtml\"")
   (string-append "PDFTOHTML = \"" (assoc-ref inputs "poppler")
                  "/bin/pdftohtml\"")))

Either approach is fine by me, but please leave a comment about why
Poppler is propagated if you go that route :-)