Subject: Re: bug#33861: Problem building sources for guile-bash

From: Björn Höfling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 20:20:29 +0100

Hi Ludo,

first of all, thanks for fixing.

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 18:39:52 +0100
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> Björn Höfling <[email-masked]> skribis:
> 
> > Usually the git-download method should fall back to SWH, but due to
> > the 404-error it throughs an exception and never gets to the
> > fallback.
> >
> > I opened a bug for this:
> >
> > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33911  
> 
> This is now fixed so I guess we can close this bug too.

Sort of.

I tried it out: When we have a source-substitute on our server,
everything is fine.

But I tried it with network connection shut down (don't know where we
do not have substitutes and was too lazy to configure firewall): Then
it tries git, fails. It then tries our substitute server and fails. But
that failure is again a stacktrace, and it doesn't try the SWH fallback.

So, maybe it works if the substitute server returns "I don't have
something", but I don't know how to try that out (Ok, I could add a new
package). But when it has a network error, it doesn't get back to the
last fallback.

What do you think?

Björn