Subject: bug#33848: Store references in SBCL-compiled code are "invisible"

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 09:03:12 -0500

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> : > Store file names are always ASCII so problems arise when they are stored
>> : > as UTF-16 or UTF-32/UCS-4.
>> : 
>> : I understand that most programs stick to ASCII filenames, but what about the odd
>> : one using non-English, special characters?
>> 
>> That’s a separate debate.  :-)  Essentially this restriction on store
>> file names has always been there in Guix (and Nix before that).  If we
>> were to change it, that would raise compatibility issues.
>
> But what happens if we attempt to store "á" in the store?

Indeed.  Although we might restrict the immediate entries within
/gnu/store to ASCII characters, file names deeper within those
directories may have non-ASCII characters.  More generally, store
references may occur within larger strings which might include non-ASCII
characters.

       Mark