Subject: bug#33848: Store references in SBCL-compiled code are "invisible"

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 17:14:09 +0100

Hello!

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>>> For now I lean towards looking for a way to address the issue
>>>> specifically for SBCL.
>>>
>>> Don't forget that we currently have 5 Lisp compilers.
>>> Besides, it's not clear that this can be fixed on the compiler's side, it could
>>> very well be that patches will be required  on a per-project basis.
>>
>> I know little about CL but maybe we can find a solution that works for
>> all five compilers.  At least that would be the first approach I would
>> suggest following.
>
> I can't imagine a solution that would work for all five compilers, but
> perhaps that's a failure of imagination on my part.  Of course, you're
> welcome to search for such a solution.  Can you give me a rough outline
> of what you have in mind?

I have nothing specific in mind, I’m just brainstorming with everyone
here.  :-)

For a similar situation in C++, there’s a fairly simple and local
workaround:

  https://issues.guix.info/issue/30265#8

I’m not familiar with CL but I thought that it we could achieve
something similar, that would be great—I’m not suggesting to change the
CL compilers in any non-trivial way.

For example I guess we could always store the file name as a literal
byte vector/list and add a call to turn that into a string.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Ludo’.