Subject: Re: bug#33848: Store references in SBCL-compiled code are "invisible"

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 15:57:50 +0100

Hi!

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Thanks for looking into this, Ludo.
>
> At first glance, I'd say that this is not a compilation option but the way
> strings are encoded by default.  It seems that multibyte encoding is used all
> over the place by a few compilers including SBCL (and CCL I think).
>
> One way I know around this (I'm by no mean a Common Lisp expert) is the
> flexi-streams package for re-encoding.

OK, we need to investigate.

> More generally, shouldn't we make the reference scanner a bit smarter?  In
> particular, how does it handle non-ASCII references?  Maybe it would not be
> unreasonable to handle UTF-8 and UCS-4 for instance?

Store file names are always ASCII so problems arise when they are stored
as UTF-16 or UTF-32/UCS-4.

Ludo’.