Subject: Re: bug#33848: Store references in SBCL-compiled code are "invisible"

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 02:03:06 -0400

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> - The main recommendation for an easy fix without updating the scanner
>   is that we tweaked our build system to dump the store reference to a
>   separate ASCII file.

Sounds good.  I made a similar proposal in Dec 2018, earlier in this
thread <https://bugs.gnu.org/33848#31>.  I wrote:

  If you don't want to change the daemon, it could be worked around in our
  build-side code as follows: we could add a new phase to certain build
  systems (or possibly gnu-build-system) that scans each output for
  UTF-16/32 encoded store references that are never referenced in UTF-8.
  If such references exist, a file with an unobtrusive name would be added
  to that output containing those references encoded in UTF-8.  This would
  enable our daemon's existing reference scanner to find all of the
  references.

  Our grafting code would then need to be extended to recognize and
  transform store references encoded in UTF-16/32 as well as UTF-8.

      Mark