Subject: bug#33847: 27.0.50; emacsclient does not find server socket

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 09:23:46 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:58:00 -0700
> 
> On 7/23/21 4:38 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> > And I've now tested on Macos, too, and emacsclient still works there.
> 
> Thanks for reminding me about that old patch. Unfortunately it uses an 
> old version of the Gnulib ACL code, which means it'll miss a fix or two. 
> I suggest the attached patches instead. They update Emacs to use current 
> Gnulib (the first two patches) and then apply the same patch you sent, 
> except with current Gnulib code.

Phew!  Talk about a hammer and a nail!..

> The first two patches are something we should be doing anyway, to bring 
> Emacs up-to-date on other Gnulib stuff. One thing worth putting into 
> NEWS is the new --disable-year2038 option to 'configure', which may be 
> useful for the next glibc release (for those people still running Emacs 
> on 32-bit GNU/Linux x86 or ARM).

Yes, but why in conjunction with this particular issue?  What does
socket security have to do with 2038/32-bit time_t issue and the
64-bit file offsets issue?

> You probably gotta run 'make bootstrap' after installing these patches. 
> Although I fixed the glitches Eli noted, the other Gnulib changes may 
> need further changes to Emacs's Microsoft-related code.

Which of the Gnulib changes might need that, please?