Subject: bug#33841: closed (Re: bug#33841: Building x86-64 on i686 not possible it seems - activation-service-error)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 10:36:02 +0000

Your bug report

#33841: Building x86-64 on i686 not possible it seems - activation-service-error

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33841: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33841
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#33841: Building x86-64 on i686 not possible it seems - activation-service-error
From: [email-masked]
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 02:34:57 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 2019-01-05 19:46, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi swedebugia,
> 
>>>An i686 machine cannot run and build software for x86_64.  You would
>>>need to set up offloading to do that, or use
>>>‘qemu-binfmt-service-type’.
> […]
>> OK. Would it be OK to state this somewhere in the manual or am I the
>> only on trying to upgrade from 32->64 bit?
> 
> I'd prefer not to add this to the manual as it is not particular to
> Guix.  x86_64 is the outlier here, as it has a i686 persona.  Generally,
> you cannot build software for a different architecture without a cross
> toolchain (not applicable for Guix) or emulation (e.g. via
> qemu-binfmt-service-type).

Ok, thanks, closing this.

-- 
Cheers 
Swedebugia

Subject: Building x86-64 on i686 not possible it seems - activation-service-error
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 21:04:25 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

time nice -19 ~/src/guix/pre-inst-env guix system build ~/config.scm
--system=x86_64-linux

building
/gnu/store/27raas2bj7sck7vgiicfr2g4h6qrd6ga-activate-service.drv...
@ unsupported-platform
/gnu/store/27raas2bj7sck7vgiicfr2g4h6qrd6ga-activate-service.drv
x86_64-linux
while setting up the build environment: a `x86_64-linux' is required to
build
`/gnu/store/27raas2bj7sck7vgiicfr2g4h6qrd6ga-activate-service.drv', but
I am a `i686-linux'
builder for
`/gnu/store/27raas2bj7sck7vgiicfr2g4h6qrd6ga-activate-service.drv'
failed with exit code 1
build of
/gnu/store/27raas2bj7sck7vgiicfr2g4h6qrd6ga-activate-service.drv failed
View build log at
'/var/log/guix/drvs/27/raas2bj7sck7vgiicfr2g4h6qrd6ga-activate-service.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/da24a831db5lv0z60kyh1drz2sw20q88-activate.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
building
/gnu/store/hkjn3n1q91dnvvq5nmjs8kr2lkw4fww3-module-import-compiled.drv...
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/fxvgakgpmhpq1abhqnrxzirgjkmns7nb-boot.drv': 1 dependencies
couldn't be built
building
/gnu/store/jqp8g5anxc2zqisb2hv4gd8rrih0z4mj-module-import.drv...
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/wm9blmyzw7vsxfbdd1rpx8f9k5qm2hvf-system.drv': 1 dependencies
couldn't be built
guix system: error: build failed: build of
`/gnu/store/wm9blmyzw7vsxfbdd1rpx8f9k5qm2hvf-system.drv' failed

-- 
Cheers 
Swedebugia