Subject: bug#33795: closed (Re: bug#33795: Update mes-minimal-stripped-tarball to Mes 0.19 on gnu.org)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:25:02 +0000

Your bug report

#33795: Update mes-minimal-stripped-tarball to Mes 0.19 on gnu.org

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33795: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33795
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#33795: Update mes-minimal-stripped-tarball to Mes 0.19 on gnu.org
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 12:24:18 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

>> If that’s fine with you, I’ll upload
>> mes-minimal-stripped-0.19-x86_64-linux.tar.xz to
>> alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/bootstrap/20181020 alongside the other tarballs.
>>
>> Sounds good?
>
> Beautiful.  I'll rewrite the one commit to not introduce the
> lilypond.org URL and push my core-updates to savannah.
>
>> Thank you!
>
> Yes, thank you!
>
> Then we can inform Eelco on the new, fast bootstrap without
> %bootstrap-guile.

Pushed patch set to core-updates as

    03a45a40227d97ccafeb49c4eb0fc7539f4d2127
    bootstrap: srfi-43: Remove.

Thanks!
janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com

Subject: Update mes-minimal-stripped-tarball to Mes 0.19 on gnu.org
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 19:37:33 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

The current Mes bootstrap on Guix has a big problem: the bin directory
has been stripped from mes-minimal-stripped-tarball; so the bootstrap
in core-updates really (accidentally) depends on bootstrap-guile.

This has been addressed by Ricardo and me at the R-B summit last week.

I also managed to release Mes-0.19, which makes for a much faster
bootstrap using Mes, and gives us a richer Mes C library that will allow
us to build bash and tar, hopefully.

On my core-updates branch at gitlab (https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix,
52c475a606 bootstrap: srfi-43: Remove) I have patches for all the above.

Checking out the commit core-updates~4

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
ef809e3ac036eccc5f9c9edd8fb661d14ae15f2f
bootstrap: Add mes-boot0; decouple mes-boot from Mes.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I have built a new mes-minimal-stripped-tarball that I would like to put
up on gnu.org

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
19:26:16 janneke@dundal:~/src/guix/wip-seed 
$ guix hash /gnu/store/h80vzl6w2ih4hnrpmczs4m7v0qc888m9-mes-minimal-stripped-tarball-0.19/mes-minimal-stripped-0.19-i686-linux.tar.xz 
0k7kkl68a6xaadv47ij0nr9jm5ca1ffj38n7f2lg80y72wdkwr9h
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The subsequent commit

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
986e982884 bootstrap: bootstrap-mes: Update.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

has, apart from the guix hash update also

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
-                  "http://lilypond.org/janneke/guix/20181214/"
-                  "mes-minimal-stripped-0.18-1.a155a0a-i686-linux.tar.xz"))
+                  "http://lilypond.org/janneke/guix/20181215/"
+                  "mes-minimal-stripped-0.19-i686-linux.tar.xz"))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I'd be happy if we can do with a rewrite of the url this commit.

Sorry for updating so soon, I sure hope we can keep this Mes-0.19 for
quite some time.

janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com