Subject: bug#33794: 26.1; electric-pair-mode breaks auto-newline minor mode of cc-mode

From: Beatrix Klebe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 12:34:09 -0500

Well, in that case, I am flattered that my opinion is given much weight in
this. What I will say is that it seems like the first order of business is
to disambiguate what has which responsibilities in this case, and where the
line falls between major modes, electric-layout, and electric-pair. It
seems like this area of the electric modes is suffering from a bit of
fragmentation as well as differing perspectives on what constitutes
“electric” behavior. Things such as c-toggle-auto-newline, for example,
almost seem in this case that they might be better delegated to
electric-layout-mode, with cc-mode specifying different electric-layout
constraints for its different formatting styles. It seems this is close to
what João was suggesting? And I suspect what Alan disagrees with? I
apologize for any misunderstanding.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 12:12 PM Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > hear about it, and your quick hack will start causing unexpected behavior
> > that I will then have to fix myself down the line. Indeed, I have oft
> mused
>
> I believe there's a misunderstand here: his quick hack is intended to
> figure out how to provide a long term solution.  IOW he's not proposing
> it as a solution for you, but is rather asking you to help us write
> a long term fix by testing design points.
>
>
>         Stefan
>