Subject: Re: bug#33794: 26.1; electric-pair-mode breaks auto-newline minor mode of cc-mode

From: Beatrix Klebe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 11:34:59 -0500

To clarify João, I make no judgment about the utility or morality of quick
hacks broadly. However, as someone who spends the majority of their time in
languages and systems which generally take a dim view of pervasive mutable
state, I am intensely wary of doing things to my configuration which risk
making it incompatible with future updates in dependent parts. Should this
problem ever be resolved more generally, it is quite possible I will not
hear about it, and your quick hack will start causing unexpected behavior
that I will then have to fix myself down the line. Indeed, I have oft mused
about creating an Emacslike programming environment in which packages are
pure and persistent and upgrades are done in a way that can be provably
reversed, like nix-pkgs does for system packages, purely because of my
historical frustration with things breaking when they shouldn’t and me not
being able to reliably isolate the cause of their failure.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 11:22 AM Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > I think I've worked out what I don't like about such (ab)use of
> > post-self-insert-hook.
>
> Great.  I'm not sure how it helps us fix the problem, tho.
>
>
>         Stefan
>